Monday, November 7, 2011

At First I Thought...

by Becka Gross



I used to think that true love only happened on a front porch, in a rocking chair, or during romantic and comfortable silence enjoyed by two aged lovebirds. That kind of love can seem unattainable until you grow older. But then I found out that true love could happen to me.


Love shouldn’t be something we stress about. I think it simply happens. The definition of true love is different for everybody and every relationship. But for me, the phrase “I would jump off a cliff for you (but not really)” holds true. A true love feels like a better version of oneself, an inspiration to strive to be all one can be, and someone for whom you would do anything to keep those things true.


My guy first entered my life at my very first place of employment. Side by side, we made pizzas. He would stay late while I closed and chit chat with me about our interests, our favorite books, Catcher in the Rye and On the Road, and keep me company. Friends first, he taught me how to skip rocks and long-board. In return I introduced him to a wardrobe beyond corduroys and skate shoes. Eventually, he dropped everything and moved across the country with me. We had the time of our lives. In NYC, most of the time, that adventure is maintained in the expensive but worthy things we do together.


Love may seem like it is a faraway state of being. It is often put on people’s to do list in a way that creates certain limitations: marriage by 25, house 26, and two kids by 28. That seems like too many restrictions. I didn’t plan it. I’m only 20 years old and in no rush for what comes next. Love also isn’t easy. If it’s true love, the lover will stick around through hard times. I think true love enters lives at various ages, 16-60. If it’s the right one, you probably didn’t see it coming -- and won’t be the same without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment