Wednesday, November 30, 2011

One of the Boys

by Alexis Michaelides
My friends say that I have three trademarks:
1) perfected, black-as-night eyebrows,
2) a voice that’s a mix of Marisa Tomei, Fran Drescher, and an Italian mother who was born and raised in NYC
3) a supposedly unhealthy obsession with the New York Rangers (that’s NYC’s hockey team for all of you non-sports enthusiasts).
The eyebrows and the voice are obvious traits; the second you see me or the second I open my big mouth you’ll notice them. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take much longer for someone to recognize my passion for New York Rangers’ hockey, either. You might be thinking, “How could this girl possibly work hockey into a conversation with a stranger?” Well, I don’t have to TALK about my enthusiasm for this team because the gold New York Rangers’ emblem hanging around my neck speaks for itself. When I do talk about the sport, though, I become instantly excited; I’m pretty sure that you can see the happiness in my eyes. I love the thrill of the game, the brisk air in an arena, the history of my team, the players, the rivalries, and the camaraderie of the fans. Put me in Madison Square Garden, and I feel like I’m in my second home and the boys on the ice are my brothers. Ask me if the Rangers won last night and I’ll tell you, “yes, WE won,” not “yes, THEY won.” If we lost, forget about it. Don’t even mention there was a game last night unless for some unfathomable reason you want me to give you a dirty look or impolitely gesture at you. Sad? Maybe. Irrational? Another maybe. But, New York Rangers’ hockey is one of the few things that I really, truly am passionate about, and that passion is reflected in my opinions and actions. That said, I can’t wait to see how my boys finish the 2011-2012 season to begin. Let’s Go Rangers!

No comments:

Post a Comment